The Parish Plan was developed over eighteen months and delivered over six years; key milestones included:
- The Medstead Parish Plan Committee (MPPC) was formed in January 2007 by Medstead Parish Council.
- To establish the key issues and provide a focus for the development of the main questionnaire consultations with local groups and associations were held and a Love It / Hate It survey was distributed and the results assessed, between May and September, 2007.
- The Parish Plan questionnaire was developed and distributed to all residents of Medstead Parish during October 2007.
- 1,156 completed responses from the 1,618 questionnaires distributed, a response rate of over 71%, were analysed and the key issues established before a draft Parish Plan was developed and presented to the Annual Parish Meeting in April 2008. The Parish Plan was updated with comments received at the Annual Parish Meeting, before being adopted by Medstead Parish Council, subject to minor amendments, in May 2008. The final version of the Parish Plan was published and distributed to all residents of Medstead Parish in July 2008.
- Delivery of the Parish Plan's Action Plan began in September 2008 and was largely completed by 2014.
You can access the Parish Plan below.
Village Design Statement
Building on the Village Appraisal, our Village Design Statement, completed in 2003, described the distinctive character of Medstead and how local people wanted the village to change and develop in future.
It included design principles based on the character of our village and made specific recommendations in six areas: agriculture and land use, the environment, equitation, heritage, sport and recreation and traffic and transport.
Following a public meeting in Medstead Village Hall in October 2001 organised by Medstead Parish Council, a small team volunteered to act as a Steering Group. Working in partnership with the local planning authority, East Hampshire District Council (EHDC), six sub-groups set up to research the specific topics.
Contact was made with village organisations to seek their involvement, a workshop was held in April 2002 to gather and disseminate information and a questionnarire was distributed to all households, which achieved a response rate of over 70%.
The work was displayed at the Village Fête in July 2002 and the Village Design Statement was endorsed by Medstead Parish Council in November 2002.
It was adopted by EHDC in January 2003 as Supplementary Planning Guidance. The guidelines within the Village Design Statement are part of the decision-making process for planning applications and should be taken into account by developers and property owners when considering future development in Medstead.
You can download the Village Design Statement below.
In October 1999 Medstead Parish Council called a public meeting to discuss the potential of carrying out an appraisal in the Parish. Following this a small group was formed to undertake the appraisal.
Our Village Appraisal, completed in 2001, provided a background to key facts and issues in Medstead. It was based on a questionnaire delivered to 713 households in Medstead. 529 questionnaires were completed and analysed, a response rate of 74.2%.
You can download the Village Appraisal below.
Related LinksUK Government: Neighbourhood Planning