Parish Councillor Vacancies
There are two casual vacancies for Parish Councillors and no request for a by- election has been received.
These vacancies will now be filled by co-option at the Parish Council meeting to be held on Wednesday 23rd June 2021.
Applications are invited and should be sent in writing to the Chairman at PO Box 343, ALTON Hampshire GU34 9JS or by e mail to clerk.medsteadpc.org by Wednesday 16th June 2021. This will enable your details to be sent to Councillors prior to the meeting, but you may still apply up to the start of that meeting.
Councillor Vacancy Notice
Candidates must be qualified to stand for election. The Local Government Act 1972, Section 79, sets out the qualifications for standing as a candidate and the grounds for disqualification of a candidate.
On the day of nomination, you must:
- be at least 18 years old
- be a British citizen, an eligible Commonwealth citizen or a citizen of any other member state of the European Union, and
- meet at least one of the following four qualifications:
a) Your name must appear on the register of local government electors for Medstead parish at the time of your nomination and throughout your term of office should you be elected.
b) You have occupied any land or other premises as owner or tenant in Medstead parish during 12 months before the day of your nomination and the day of election.
c) Your main or only place of work during the 12 months prior to the day of your nomination and the day of election has been in Medstead parish. You do not have to have paid employment to qualify, as long as your main or only place of work is in Medstead parish. For example, Councillors who’s main or only job is being a councillor would be able to use this qualification, if their council office is within Medstead parish.
d) You have lived in the Medstead parish or within three miles of it during 12 months before the day of your nomination and the day of election.
You may be disqualified as a candidate if:
- You are employed by Medstead parish council or hold a paid office under the Medstead parish council (including joint boards or committees).
- You have been declared bankrupt in the last five years and has not repaid your debts.
- You have been convicted of a criminal offence and sentenced to at least three months imprisonment (including any suspended sentence) within the previous five years.
- You are disqualified due to corrupt practices under the Representation of the People Act 1983 or the Audit Commission Act.
For more information relating to these qualifications, please read the Electoral Commission’s Guidance.
General Councillor Information